Baking is fun… but I don’t always have time for it. And, most importantly, I know that I might end up eating the whole batch of cookies, muffins or whatever I’m baking.
Does that sound familiar?
My solution whenever I want a quick and easy single-serve treat is to make this Paleo chocolate cake in a mug. It’s rich and satisfying and I can eat it all without any guilt!
It has a decent amount of healthy fat and protein in it, which means that the little amount of sugar it has won’t disrupt your blood sugar levels like most treats would. For this reason, a single serving will leave you satisfied and satiated.
And it’s completely nut-free. So many Paleo recipes use nut, nut butter and nut flour. I understand nuts can give a pleasant taste and texture but most of them also have quite a bit of omega-6 fats, which can contribute to an unbalanced omega-6 to omega-3 ratio in your body leading to inflammation. This recipe has a balanced omega-6 to omega-3 ratio for that reason.
And yes, it uses a microwave oven. I’m not against them. I sometimes use them to reheat my lunch because I have a busy life and this is what sometimes happens in this real imperfect world. However, I do try to avoid microwaving foods that are especially nutrient-dense to make sure I preserve all of the nutrients. But although this recipe is Paleo, gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free… I still don’t consider a nutrient-dense recipe and therefore don’t worry too much about using a microwave with it. 🙂
Without further ado, here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp grass-fed ghee, coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- 1 large (pastured) egg
- 1.5 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tbsp organic cane sugar (I buy organic sugar because regular sugar is almost always from GMO beets…)
- 1-2 tbsp unsweetened raw cacao powder (depending on how dark your want your chocolate cake)
- optional: a few drops of vanilla extract, 1-2 tbsp of dark chocolate chips, 1-2 tbsp of unsweetened shredded coconut
- Melt your chosen fat (30 seconds in the microwave should do it) in you mug.
- Add the egg. Mix with a fork.
- Add the other ingredients.
- “Bake” in the microwave for 60 seconds.