Here are my 5 tips to keep your gut healthy and happy while traveling, wherever you’re going. And you can of course implement these tips when eating out or even at home. Find the links to everything I talk about in this video just below. I travelled to over 25 countries, over 15 of them while being on a pretty strict gut-healing diet, so I have an idea of what I’m talking about. 🙂
Keeping your gut healthy and happy while travelling is SO important because many cases of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and FODMAP intolerance begins shortly after a bout of food poisoning and traveler’s diarrhea. That was certainly the case for me. So here are my top tips to make sure you feel as good as you can while on the road. Make sure to get the free pdf guide to save these 5 tips on your computer! Safe travels!
1. Drink pure water
2. Strengthen your gut flora
- My favorite fermented foods
- Sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) & Kombucha (fermented tea)
- My friend Sarah’s online classes Fearless Fermentation
(to learn how to ferment your own foods!)
3. Minimize eating out
- Find a place with a kitchen at Airbnb. Click here to get a $20 discount.
4. Be prepared… just in case!
- Activated charcoal (take at the first sign of food poisoning or suspected cross-contamination)
- Essential oils: oregano, Thieves, Di-Gize and peppermint are the best to have on hands for digestive issues. I use Young Living essential oils. Click here to get your starter kit!
- Homeopathic remedies: arsenicum album is the best one to have on hand in case of food poisoning (keep away from essential oils to maintain its potency)
5. Hug a tree!
- Being in nature boosts your immune system!
- Grounding yourself helps you adjust to your new time zone more quickly
- Be a traveller rather than a tourist
- Slow down to activate your parasympathetic nervous system
(to optimize digestion and healing)
My 5 top tips to keep your gut healthy & happy on the road
If you have digestive issues, check out my book & cookbook Digestive Health with REAL Food to learn everything you need to know to heal your gut naturally with real food so you can be free to travel without having to worry about staying close to a bathroom. 🙂