The typical breakfast foods are unfortunately high in carbs and lack protein (see this post I wrote about the missing ingredient in your breakfast), which sets us up for feeling low in energy and craving sugar for the rest of the day.
This breakfast should help you avoid this common problem by combining the perfect balance of nutrient-dense carbs, blood sugar-balancing healthy fats and satiating protein.
You could argue that it is basically a smoothie and indeed the ingredients are pretty similar to what I put in my usual breakfast smoothie but I actually don’t have a blender at the moment so this is how I manage to get my preferred usual breakfast in a bowl.
It doesn’t even take 5 minutes and you won’t even have to clean the blender, which is something that should make your day a lot easier. 🙂
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop protein powder (I use this one)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (I use this one)
- 1-2 tsp water
- 3-4 tbsp unsweetened dried grated coconut (I use Let's Do Organic)
- 1/2 - 1 cup berries (I used frozen blueberries and frozen raspberries but I like to let them thaw in the fridge overnight so my porridge isn't too cold! 🙂 )
- Mash the banana in a bowl.
- Add the protein powder, collagen peptides and water. Mix together until dissovled.
- Add the grated coconut and berries.
- Mix and eat!
I like using a beef-based protein powder and this is a great option for people sensitive to dairy or eggs.
The collagen peptides add a bit of extra protein but their main benefits include gut healing as well as a healthier joints and a smoother, younger-looking skin.